THE “SEVENTH ENGLISH COMPETITION
FOR CATALAN SCHOOLS”
1. AIMS OF THE COMPETITION:
The Seventh English Competition for Catalan Schools (THE FONIX 2014), designed to promote the use of English among school students through a fun and educational competition in an informal educational setting, is hereby announced.
Participation is free. The competition is financed exclusively by the organisers (International House and the Fundació Catalana de l'Esplai) and the sponsors (Cambridge University Press, Netlanguages, Cambridge ESOL Examinations and El Corte Ingles). The competition also receives support from the Secretaria General de Polítiques Educatives del Departament d'Ensenyament de la Generalitat de Catalunya (the Department of Education of the Government of Catalonia), as part of its plan of excellence for the promotion of the use of English in schools.
The organisers and sponsors will form an Organisation Committee to ensure the correct development and organisation of the competition.
2. OBJETIVES AND CONTENTS:
Theobjective of the competition is to select a finalist from each of the first two stages: local, territorial and the winners at the final stage.
The exercises in all the stages of the competition will consist of writing tasks, each based on a different theme (for example: geography, history or music) The written tasks contain a variety of activities on vocabulary, reading and writing. In the final stage of the competition, there will also be an oral section in the test.
The regional stage of the competition will take place at the same time on the same day in all the examining centres in Barcelona, Tarragona, Lleida and Girona. The regional stage will be supervised by the organisers.
- The following are eligible to take part in the competition: students in their 5th and 6th level of primary school; students in all four years of secondary school; and students in their two years of pre-university studies or their parallel vocational training programme, at any state-funded or private educational institution located within Catalonia.
- Students who don’t have English as their mother tongue or who don’t use it within their family setting, will be awarded 20% more in their overall mark at the local, territorial and final stages of the competition. Candidates with an English-speaking mother or father will not be eligible for these extra points.
- A candidate’s participation in the competition will be made exclusively through schools where he/she is registered. Each school will appoint someone who is responsible for the competition – which should preferably be an educator of one of the participating levels. This person will be the person of contact / spokesman/woman from the centre in relation to the organisers of the competition. In order for students to participate in the regional and final stages of the competition, the person responsible for the competition from the candidates’ school must be present. In cases where this is not possible a representative from the school must be present.
- Candidates who have a mother, father, brother or sister with the organising institutions of the competition, will not be allowed to enter.
- The winners of previous editions of the FONIX competition - who were classified between the first and sixth position (inclusive) are allowed to take part in the competition again; however it they are again classified between the first and sixth position, they will receive a special prize in recognition of their achievement. They will not be able to win one of the first six prizes again. Please see this ruling in paragraph 7 of the FONIX rules.
- Enrolment on to the competition at the territorial and final stages implies acceptance, on the part of the candidates and their families, of the rules and conditions of the competition. On passing the local stage of the competition, candidates and their families will have to fill in a “permission form” which is available on the website at: www.concurs-angles.info The “permission form” must be signed by the father, mother or legal guardian. This “permission form” will be sent / given to the families by the person responsible for the competition at the school where the candidate is registered.
- At the regional and final stages of the competition, candidates will have to show the organisers there DNI (if they are 14 years or over) or their “libro de familia / llibre de família” on the day of the competition as well as the “permission form”. If candidates fail to conform with one of either of these regulations, they will not be allowed to participate in the competition.
4. REGISTRATION AND INFORMATION:
Enrolment on to the competition will be carried out by the person responsible for the competition at each school. They can enrol candidates at all / any group level that they consider suitable for the competition. The enrolment period for the competition for all schools who wish to participate will be from 9th of November until 15th of January 2014 inclusive.Information regarding the competition and enrolment procedures can only be accessed and carried out via the official centre enrolment form which is available on this website (www.concurs-angles.info). The Regulations and any supplementary information about the different stages of the competition will be permanently available on this website.
If, for any reason, schools have difficulty registering online, they may send their registration by fax, after notifying the organisers by email. For queries concerning the competition, please send an email to: email@example.com
- For educational matters you should contact: Lynn Durrant (Head of the Educational Programme)
- For organisational matters you should contact: Miquel Puig (Head of Organisation)
5. STAGES OF THE COMPETITION:
“The Seventh English Competition for Catalan Schools” will comprise of three knockout stages, as described here:
- The tests will be held at each school between 16th of January and 21st February 2014 inclusive.
- The person responsible for the competition will download the tests from the website, which will be available via a password and a code provided by the organisation. This person will choose the most suitable date for holding the tests and will also decide how the tests will be administered within his/her school.
- To facilitate marking, after each test an answer sheet will be available on the website. The person responsible for the competition with each participating school will keep the test results in case any candidates wish to consult them.
- This stage of the competition will take about 55 minutes. Students who are in the same year must do the exercises on the same day and at the same time. A maximum of one finalist for each centre at each level should be chosen from the participating school. If there is a draw between the best candidates at a particular level, the person responsible for the competition will choose the student with the highest continuous assessment mark during the first two terms of the school year to qualify for the next round.
- The person responsible for the competition in each school must register the finalists for each level on the online form on the website for them to be able to proceed to the next stage. The deadline for registration will be 20:00 on 24th February. After this time, participants forfeit the right to continue to the territorial stage.
- The tests during the regional stage will be held on Saturday 1st March at 12:00 midday, and will last for a maximum of 55 minutes. The location of the examination in each of the 4 regional capitals of Catalonia (Barcelona, Tarragona, Lleida and Girona) will be made public well before the test date – on the competition website. Candidates will be assigned to one of these centres, according to the location of their school.
- Candidates and a member of their family and / or the person from their school who is responsible for the competition should arrive 90 minutes before the start of the test in order to complete the administrative procedures. This is in-line with the rules set out in regulation 3 of the competition.
- At this stage of the competition, candidates with the highest marks in each of the 8 levels will be chosen:five winners for each level from the region of Barcelona and three winners from each level from the regions of Tarragona, Lleida and Girona. (112 candidates in total)
- If there is a draw between the best candidates at a particular level, the finalists will be chosen on the basis of the richness of the language and vocabulary used in their written tasks.
- The organisers will publish the names of the winners from the regional stage of the competition and the centres they represent as of 7th April.
- The person responsible for the competition from each centre must inform the competition organisers of anyone that pulls out of participating in the final stage of the competition by 20:00 on 27th April.
- The final stage of the competition will be held Saturday 26th April.
- Candidates should arrive 30 minutes before the start of the test in order to complete the administrative procedures. This is in-line with the rules set out in regulation 3 of the competition.
- Thetest at the Final stage of the competition will consist of an oral as well as a written section. The test will take between 40-50 minutes at the most, depending on the educations level of the candidates( primary, secondary etc) The result of this stage of the competition will be the total number of marks taken from both parts of the test.
- 8 absolute winners from each of the 8 categories of the competition will be selected from within the 112 candidates who participated at the regional stage of the competition where they were awarded the highest marks.
- If there is a draw between the best candidates at a particular level, the candidate with the highest marks for fluency and pronunciation during the oral part will be declared the winner.
- The organisers will publish the classification of the candidates in each category and the school they attend by 20th May. All students who qualified for the final stage will be formally invited to the awards ceremony at which the diplomas and prizes will be presented.
NOTES APPLICABLE TO BOTH THE REGIONAL AND FINAL STAGES:
- At the tests for the regional and final stages, to be held on the days indicated above, participants should be accompanied by at least one member of their family or / and the person responsible for the competition at their school. They should also present the family “permission form” (if they are minors) and their identity document or the Spanish libro de familia. This is in-line with the rules set out in regulation 3 of the competition.
- Candidates must arrange their own transport to the regional and final examination centres. The addresses of these centres will be published in due course on the website.
- The organisers will post the lists of registered candidates and winners at each stage of the competition on the website, and will send emails to each participating school to confirm this.
- Once the tests begin, at the time specified, no candidates who were not present during the prior administration process will be admitted. Nor will candidates be allowed to leave the examination room once the test has started.
- At the start of the tests, candidates will be given a sealed envelope containing the questions. They may not open the envelope until instructed to do so by the organisers.
- Candidates should write their personal details on each sheet used during the exercises. This information must be presented legibly. Failure to do this may mean that the candidate cannot proceed to the next stage of the competition.
- During the test no material may be used other than that provided by the organisation.
- The use of dictionaries or any other kind of reference material to help with the exercises is not authorized.
- No marks will be deducted for incorrect answers in any of the stages.
6. EXAMINATION CENTRES:
The people responsible for the competition at each school will be in charge of running all the activities during the local examination period. These representatives will be the administrators of all the activities related to the competition during the local stage at their school. They will oversee the activity at the school, collect the students’ answers, draw up the lists of students participating and mark the tests using the answer sheets – which will be available on the competition website.
In the territorial and final stages, the Organising Committee will assign schools to the regional examination centres which will take place in the cities of Barcelona, Tarragona, Lleida and Girona.The Organising Committee will decide on the location of the final stage of the competition. This will be available on the website well in advance of the date of the final stage.
- All competitors at the territorial stage, and the schools they attend, will receive a diploma acknowledging their participation in the “Seventh English Competition for Catalan Schools”.
- All the people who are responsible for the competition at each educational centre who have a student classified amongst the 112 finalists will also receive a prize, based on the following criteria:
- a course on English teaching methodology for those people who are responsible for the competition at an educational centre who have a student classified in the top three positions in each category.
- invitations to attend the work and assessment groups related to the English language at the Department of Education for those people who are responsible for the competition at an educational centre who have a student classified from the fourth to the sixth position in each category.
- a school stationary kit for those people who are responsible for the competition at an educational centre who have a student classified in the seventh position in each category.
- The following prizes will be awarded to the 112 candidates who classified for the final stage:
- 4 two-week stays in “English Summer Camps” in Catalonia for thefour winners in the 5º pri. to 2nd ESO categories.
- 4 two-week stays in an English-speaking country for the four winners in the 3rd ESO to 2nd de Batxillerat/ Grau Superior de Cicles Formatius categories.
- 8 standard on line English courses and 8 sets of study materials for the runners-up in each of the 8 categories.
- 32 standard on line English courses for the third, fourth, fifth and sixth placed candidates in each of the 8 categories.
- Sets of study materials for the remaining finalists.
- The awards may not be exchanged for their cash value. However, a finalist awarded one of the main prizes (e.g. summer camps, stays abroad, in situ English courses) who is unable to accept his/her award because of the times, dates, for other reasons etc., will be offered an on line English course for the duration of an academic year.
- If, for any reason the awards, which have been promised, become unavailable; and should this not be under the control of the organisers, the organisers of the competition reserve the right to substitute them with awards of the same or of a higher value.
- All prizes must be awarded.
- All participants in the final stage, their family, friends and the person responsible for the competition at the school and / or a representative of the school will be invited to the awards ceremony, which will be held on fourth week of may or first week of june. The award ceremony will be a formal occasion and will be open to the public. The venue will be announced in due course.
8. EXAMINING COMMITEE:
The tests in the regional and final stage of the competition will be marked by an Examining Committee to be nominated by the competition organisers. The examining committee will be comprised of experienced, qualified professionals who are active in the sector.
The Committee’s decisions on both educational and organisational matters are final. Any claims regarding the territorial or final stages should be sent to the following address:
C/ Trafalgar 14, 08010 Barcelona “Concurs Anglès”
9. PUBLICATION OF LISTS AND ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE WINNERS:
Once tthe marking of the tests of the regional and final stages is complete, the Examining Committee will post the provisional list of candidates classified at each level on the competition’s website, indicating the name, surnames, the school where they are registered, and the classification obtained.
Any candidate may request a revision and correction of the data published on the web provided for this purpose. This may only be done through the person responsible for the competition at their school and only during 5 days following the publication of these lists.
10. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY:
The “Seventh English Competition for Catalan Schools” (“THE FONIX 2014”) andall its contents are the property of International House Barcelona S.L.. International House Barcelona S.L. may allow the participating schools to use the name and contents of the competition for promotion and distribution within an educational context.
11. RIGHTS OVER IMAGES AND PERSONAL DATA:
- At the local stage, that is, when the tests are held inside the schools, all images (photographs, videos, etc.) will be treated in accordance with the regulations applied in this case by the schools themselves. The tests performed in the examination centres at the regional and final stages may be recorded at the discretion of each centre, or where this is not specified, at the discretion of the test’s Organising Committee. It is accepted and understood that permission for this was given in the “permission forms” filled in by the candidates and their father/mother / legal guardian. The Images recorded during the award ceremony will be of a public nature and will be the property of the institutions hosting the event and of the institutions in possession of the intellectual property rights specified in point number 10 above. This recorded material may be used by the collaborating institutions for educational and pedagogical purposes that they feel appropriate.
- The Department of Education will form part of the Organisation committee, and will have access at all times, to information and data relating to the tests, the participants and the selection of the winner at each stage. If necessary, The Department of Education may form part of the Examining Committee, by nominating an expert representative from the “Servei de Llengües de la Subdirecció General de Llengües” and “Entorn de la Direcció General d’Innovació”.
- After the local stage of the competition, candidates’ personal data provided by the centre where they are registered will be stored in an automated database belonging to International House Barcelona, S.L., and placed under its responsibility. International House Barcelona S.L is committed to taking the maximum precaution and care of the candidates’ information and data. This database is designed to facilitate the correct management of competition, the dispatch of materials, and the awarding of prizes to the competition winners. Candidates or their legal representatives may consult this database at any time, in order to exercise their rights of access, rectification, cancellation and objection to the processing of their personal data, in accordance with the provisions of the Personal Data Protection Act 15/1999, of 13th December. These rights may be exercised on presentation of a written communication accompanied by a photocopy of the holder’s identity document at International House Barcelona, S.L., C/ Trafalgar nº 14, 08010 Barcelona.
12. ACCEPTANCE OF THE REGULATIONS:
The organisers of the competition reserve the right to amend these Regulations at any time in the interests of the organisation, fulfilment or smooth running of the competition. In the case where this occurs, the organisers will have to give the interested parties reasonable advanced warning of such an amendment.
Participation in the “Seventh English Competition for Catalan Schools” or “THE FONIX 2014” implies the acceptance of these regulations in their entirety.